For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.
― T.S. Eliot
Language is the most massive and inclusive art we know, a mountainous and anonymous work of unconscious generations.
What fetters the mind and benumbs the spirit is ever the dogged acceptance of absolutes.
― Edward Sapir, Language: an Introduction to the Study of Speech
Top Network Posts
- 123Is there a word for "air can pass through it"?
- 97How did 7 come to be an abbreviation for 'and' in Old English?
- 71An idiom for a stupid action which is beneficial in the end, or for the person who performed said action
- 69Should you pick a baby up everytime it cries?
- 60How long can you say "the late so and so"?
- 55"Soccer mom": why soccer?
- 53A derogatory word for a splendid person
- View more network posts →