English language is a hobby.
Rule 1. The language has rules. These might be obscure or not, but the language is inherently governed by rules. A linguist might study a foreign language based on deeper knowledge than a non-linguist. It is up to someone to embrace deeper rules of language. Rule 2. People often assume (not entirely correctly) that being "native" is equivalent to being proficient or expert in a language. Rule 3. Context is very important in analyzing a text fragment
Top Network Posts
- 66What do you call a disk with a hole in the middle?
- 35Why "buenas noches" when it's only one night?
- 27Show equation number only once in align environment
- 16Does "either A or B " preclude "both A and B"?
- 15Can you reply "you too" to wishes such as "Good luck"?
- 14Are "burro" and "aburrir" related?
- 12Can earthquakes be triggered thousands of miles away?
- View more network posts →