I'm a retired English grammarian. I enjoy answering questions.
- My Website at the University of Michigan
- My alt.usage.english English Grammar pages
- Details and handouts from some recent talks.
- A term paper about K-12 Language Science
- Two scanned coursepacks from my Intro Ling class. (each ~100 pp)
- Scanned teaching materials from my Etymology class
- Abstract of a recent talk (4/12/12) in Denton, TX.
Top Network Posts
- 96What's wrong with "I'll open you the door"?
- 63What is the difference between an Emperor and a King?
- 53Was "book" to "beek" as "foot" is to "feet"?
- 52I <verb> and am <rest of sentence>
- 51What kind of noun is a picture?
- 45Why "it’s turtles" not "they are turtles"
- 40Why do I give my pets "food" but my livestock "feed"?
- View more network posts →
Top Tags (14)
27 What the f*** just happened? dec 5 '13
16 What good reference works on English are available? may 18 '12
11 2014 Moderator Election Q&A - Question Collection jun 10 '14
8 Excessive number of fundamental questions may 10 '13
8 Is asking a question on English usage which is obvious for native English speakers but not so for English language learners off-topic? mar 23 '14
8 What is an “unupvote”? jun 27 '12
6 Reopening prematurely Closed questions feb 25 '12