I'm a retired English grammarian. I enjoy answering questions.
- My Website at the University of Michigan
- Complete Publications and Lectures.
- My alt.usage.english English Grammar pages
- Details and handouts from some recent talks.
- A term paper about K-12 Language Science
- Two scanned coursepacks from my Intro Ling class. (each ~100 pp)
- Scanned teaching materials from my Etymology class
Top Network Posts
- 109What's wrong with "I'll open you the door"?
- 66What is the difference between an Emperor and a King?
- 55Was "book" to "beek" as "foot" is to "feet"?
- 52I <verb> and am <rest of sentence>
- 51What kind of noun is a picture?
- 45Why "it’s turtles" not "they are turtles"
- 42Why do I give my pets "food" but my livestock "feed"?
- View more network posts →
Top Tags (14)
28 What the f*** just happened? Dec 5 '13
15 What good reference works on English are available? May 18 '12
10 2014 Moderator Election Q&A - Question Collection Jun 10 '14
8 What emphasis to use when referring to words? Sep 11 '14
8 Excessive number of fundamental questions May 10 '13
8 Is asking a question on English usage which is obvious for native English speakers but not so for English language learners off-topic? Mar 23 '14
8 What is an “unupvote”? Jun 27 '12