I have spent most of my career in government service, much of it abroad. I have a degree in English Language and Literature from the University of Oxford and the Diploma in English Language Studies from the UK's Open University, and am qualified as a teacher of English to foreign learners. I have studied several other languages including French, German, Latin, Arabic and Old and Middle English.
My blog, Caxton, is mostly, but not entirely, about the English language.
Elsewhere on the web I have attempted to write in the constrained style of the 'Ouvroir de littérature potentielle' (OULIPO) in Variations on an Incident in Paris and in Variations on Jane Austen. I have also created a full set of 256 Syllogisms by figure and mood and showing which are valid and which are not.
Top Network Posts
- 142"Two yellow spots on its wings" vs "a yellow spot on both wings"
- 70What does "c'tee" mean?
- 66"Username", "user name" or "user-name"
- 56Is "legit" a legitimate word?
- 55What do we call people who go to the gym?
- 43"To shoot out of cannon into sparrows"
- 37A word that says a person is both female and your friend
- View more network posts →